WHERE IS YOUR MINDSET TAKING YOU?
Guest Article by Georgia Bamber
Where is your mindset taking you?
Mindset has become a bit of a buzzword over the last few years. You hear it everywhere - fixed mindset, growth mindset, success mindset. But what does mindset even mean and why is it important? This is a question my clients ask me a lot, so let’s take a quick look.
Your mindset is the collection of thoughts, stories and beliefs that shape your habits. So think of it like that tape loop that plays over and over in your head. What kind of things is that tape telling you? What do you think about yourself? What do you think about others and about the world? That is your mindset.
Oftentimes we are completely unaware of what is going on in our minds. We get caught up in what we are doing and forget to check in and question our actions and motives. Few people take the time to really tune in and listen to their self talk. Fewer understand the importance of all those thoughts swirling around in their head.
But understanding your mindset is incredibly important for the big reason that mindset is THE big driver of your behaviour and any resulting successes. Your mindset, literally creates your life.
So how does this work?
It all starts with your thoughts and then…..
Your thoughts influence how you feel.
Then your feelings lead you to act in a certain way.
And those actions all have consequences, which become the results you have in your life right now.
It is all a direct cycle, Thoughts -> Feelings -> Actions -> Results.
Everything you have, everything you have achieved, how happy you are, how successful you are comes down to one thing - your thoughts.
So mindset matters! You create your life with your thoughts.
The problem is, a lot of people miss this link between thoughts and results. They don’t realise the powerful affect that they have and assume that they will have the mindset of the person they want to be once they reach their cherished goals. Once they have lost weight, or built a successful business or quit drinking, or found the perfect partner, only then will they will think and feel like a success.
But actually this is a little bit backward. In order to succeed and reach your goals, you need to develop that mindset ahead of time. You need to embrace the thoughts feelings and qualities of the person who has the goal you want, in order to create it in the first place.
I know this sounds a bit weird. How can you be something before you have done it?
But if you think about it, if you think the same things, feel the same things and do the same things as you always have, what are you going to get? Of course, you will get more of the same. This makes perfect sense when you look back to the thought model; thoughts, lead to feelings, lead to actions, lead to results.
If you want to achieve something new there is only one way to do it. You need to think, feel and act in a different way than before - like a person who already has what you want. That is how you create it. It all comes down to mindset.
So that is the why. Now for the how.
Here are some tools to help you understand and then work to change your mindset.
Exercise 1 - The thought download
- Take a peek at what is going on in your brain. Think about a goal that you are hoping to achieve or something you have given up on in the past. Now, take out a piece of paper and write down everything that pops into your mind.
- Looking at that brain dump, circle all the thoughts that you think might be holding you back from reaching your goal or creating the kind of life that you want
- Looking at the circled thoughts try to come up with some alternative thoughts that might serve you better.
- Practice these thoughts. Every time you hear yourself saying one of the unhelpful thoughts to yourself, try to switch it to your new alternative thoughts. Awareness is key.
Exercise 2 - Who do you need to be?
- Think about the kind of person who already has what you want or has achieved what you would like to achieve.
- What kind of qualities does that person embody? (e.g. integrity, reliability, courage)
- What kind of thoughts are they thinking?
- What do they feel? (e.g. energised, enthusiastic, cheerful, confident)
- Take a look at this list. How does this compare to how you are, think and feel at the moment? What needs to change?
You can create anything in your life with the right thoughts and the right mindset. It takes work, it takes time and it takes awareness but it is so worth it.
Georgia Bamber is a success coach, speaker and author of “Achieve Anything You Want” . Using practical tools and mindset strategies she teaches people to make positive changes and create the time to reach their goals. You can find out more about Georgia at www.georgiabamber.com