CHANGING YOUR PERCEPTION OF STRESS - KELLY MCGONIGAL
Kelly McGonigal shared a TED TALK some years ago now about stress perception that has been life changing for me!
She frames stress in a way that makes you consider that it's not about stopping getting stressed but thinking about it differently. Realising that a stress response in the body is your body getting you ready for action, gearing you up to achieve something.
Take a look at the full TED TALK here:
- When you do feel stressed, become aware that that's what you're feeling. Be mindful and think about where in your body you are feeling the stress.
- When being mindful of where the stress is in your body, consider how this could positively impact your performance to do well.
- Consider not doing things that might enhance the stress response, maybe avoid coffee or high sugar foods for a short time.
- You could also go for a walk and allow yourself sometime to gather your thoughts, gain a bit of perspective and come back to your work in a bit.
- Chat to a colleague!
- Ask for help... there's plenty of people around that can support. Maybe if it's not someone at work, a friend could offer some words of wisdom, perspective or positivity.
Read more about Kelly McGonigal here.
Here's a list of other great TED TALKS about managing stress.